In episode #695, Eric and Neil discuss why you should work for someone else before you start your own company. Tune in to hear why you should learn the ropes from someone else.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: You Shouldn’t be an Entrepreneur First, You Should be an Employee
- [00:38] Neil hasn’t been an employee since he was 18 or 19 when he worked at Hollywood Video.
- [01:02] Eric found the structure about being an employee was helpful to understanding what makes a company work.
- [01:35] He switched jobs often, because he was chasing the next opportunity. Each time, he learned something new about what makes a successful company.
- [02:15] You should start out as an employee, because you need to try things out to see what you like.
- [02:35] Bill Ackman, successful hedge funder, thinks you shouldn’t start your own company until you’ve worked in the industry for some time.
- [03:15] You need to learn from others before you go out and make your own mistakes.
- [03:40] If you learn from other’s good examples first, you are more likely to succeed in the future.
- [04:18] The Ali Baba CEO, Jack Ma, made a video about this very topic and he agrees with Eric and Neil.
- [04:48] You don’t have to make all your money when you’re young.
- [05:05] Be prepared to fail before you succeed.
- [05:17] That’s it for today!
- [05:20] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2190, we talk about how we batch our content. Depending on whether it’s long-form video, blog posts, or podcast episodes, we have put different processes in place to help us save time an...
In episode #2189, Neil and Eric discuss some of the best-kept YouTube success secrets! We share what has worked for us, as well as the mistakes we have made and how you can avoid them. You’ll also l...
In episode #2188, we talk about our boneheaded YouTube mistake with Marketing School. Tuning in, you’ll find out how Libsyn helped us automate and grow our views, the mistake we made when we stopped...