In episode #695, Eric and Neil discuss why you should work for someone else before you start your own company. Tune in to hear why you should learn the ropes from someone else.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: You Shouldn’t be an Entrepreneur First, You Should be an Employee
- [00:38] Neil hasn’t been an employee since he was 18 or 19 when he worked at Hollywood Video.
- [01:02] Eric found the structure about being an employee was helpful to understanding what makes a company work.
- [01:35] He switched jobs often, because he was chasing the next opportunity. Each time, he learned something new about what makes a successful company.
- [02:15] You should start out as an employee, because you need to try things out to see what you like.
- [02:35] Bill Ackman, successful hedge funder, thinks you shouldn’t start your own company until you’ve worked in the industry for some time.
- [03:15] You need to learn from others before you go out and make your own mistakes.
- [03:40] If you learn from other’s good examples first, you are more likely to succeed in the future.
- [04:18] The Ali Baba CEO, Jack Ma, made a video about this very topic and he agrees with Eric and Neil.
- [04:48] You don’t have to make all your money when you’re young.
- [05:05] Be prepared to fail before you succeed.
- [05:17] That’s it for today!
- [05:20] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Discover Latest Episodes
In episode #2295, Neil and Eric talk about how 25.6% of all searches are now zero-click, and what you should do. Google’s new methods for displaying search results are becoming increasingly sophisti...
In episode #2294, we discuss whether or not you should hire friends and family. Regardless of the size of your business, hiring someone from your inner circle can be complicated! Ultimately, it comes ...
In episode #2293, Neil and Eric discuss why some ad platforms will struggle in the future. Apple’s recent privacy changes on iOS have had a significant impact on digital advertising. With Google loo...